Ideal for eco and climate change projects
A half-day workshop will include two practical activities. A qualified engineer with experience in the industry will deliver this workshop.
Half day or full day,
typically covers up to 90
children in a day,
contact us for bigger sessions.
Primary, Secondary, Sixth Form,
KS1, KS2, KS3, KS4, KS5
Build a Windmill
Children will build a working toy windmill that will light a small LED bulb. See the video below.
- - all types of renewable energy.
- - advantages and disadvantages of each type of energy.
- - mechanics of a generator.
- - kinetic and gravitational potential energy.
- - potential of renewable energy to build a sustainable world and contribute towards resolving climate change issues.
Experiment with a water wheel model.
"Everything was fantastic thank you. Very prepared, step by step explanations, clear understanding of what renewable energy was, we were very impressed and will definitely recommend!"
Cuckoo Hall Academy, London
Typical Workshop Day
- Introduce children to examples of real-life sustainability (such as the eco-village Currumbin in Australia) and what alternative-energy means.
- Introduce children to all major parts of a windmill and how it can generate power.
- Practical - Construct a mini windmill to light an LED and test it.
- Practical - Allow each child to be creative and challenge them to build a wing blade that will be able to capture a sufficient amount of wind and generate enough power to light the LED. For this practical, they will have to assess how the size, thickness, material and shape of a wing blade will affect its overall performance.
- Group activity - Ask children to complete a very small worksheet on all different types of renewable and non-renewable energy and discuss them.
- Show children models of water wheels and explain how they work and discuss mechanisms of energy transfer that takes place.
- Usually, we will reset the session and repeat it for another group of children on the same day. As with all our engagements, we will end the day with a street-dance performance.