Primary Maths Workshop
Primary school maths workshop for schools (KS1 and KS2)
This workshop was developed by an Aerospace engineer to make maths fun and engaging for children. We have three different versions of this workshop to offer schools that will cover KS1, lower KS2, and higher KS2. It is ideal for a primary school maths day. Check our secondary school workshop here (if you need something more advanced).
We have based our primary school maths workshops around the national curriculum. It will also give children an insight into how maths is applied in everyday life.
2 x half-day,
max 48 students in a day,
contact us for bigger sessions.
and Higher KS2
Maths in a Box
Available in Three Versions
KS1 - year 1 and year 2
KS1 topics covered: Numbers, number lines, fractions, 2D shapes, 3D shapes, directions, counting, time, money, length, mass, and maths operations (+-)
Lower KS2 - year 3 and year 4
Higher KS2 - year 5 and year 6
KS2 topics covered: Numbers, fractions, geometry, measurements, statistics, time, problem solving, and maths operations (x/+-)
Worksheets and Activities
Our workshop will help students apply those foundation maths skills at an early stage in their learning while boosting their attainment in maths. We have spent a considerable effort developing practical activities related to the topics covered in this workshop. Our worksheets are unique, and combined with fun games, will keep children occupied throughout the day.
Typical Maths Workshop Day
- We will split the children into groups and give children a short introduction to the activities.
- We will begin with the "crack the code" exercise. This exercise consists of a short theoretical maths quiz covering numbers and fractions.
- Practical - Give children 2D shapes and ask them to create images and shapes. Observe and learn the properties of 3D shapes.
- Practical - Learn directions with counting and a card game.
- Practical - Play a card game to learn about time and money.
- Practical -Learn about mass and length by measuring KNEX model parts and build a bridge. This activity will also cover some basic engineering concepts.
Lower KS2 and Higher KS2 Activities
- Practical - Carry out measurement activities, such as perimeter and distance calculations, using real-world maps.
- Practical - Explore and learn the properties (vertices, edges, and surfaces) of 3D shapes. Conduct a displacement experiment to understand the concept of volume.
- Practical - Play a short card game to answer questions based on statistics and time.
- Practical - Build a bridge and learn about measuring units such as cm and g. This exercise will also cover some engineering concepts.
Usually, we will reset the session and repeat it for another group of children on the same day. As with all our engagements, we will end the day with a street-dance performance.